Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 23


Field Notes - Dispatch 23 – Rose Cottage

Wednesday 9th of September, 2015

Greetings Fellow Adventurers!

It has been a while since my last dispatch and I must say I have missed writing them. While MR and I were in Trout Camp this summer my father, an avid fisherman, passed away and one of my sisters was in the hospital. For a while I just did not feel like finding my pencil stub and scrawling a note to the outside world. But, like my sister, I am back in the saddle and moving forward.

This evening MR and I went out to a local trout stream and while she read beside the faithful old Land Rover I schooled the fish. As usual, I caught many a beautiful rainbow from a spring fed, ice cold stream under a crystal blue Idaho sky. I do not know who was more surprised, the fish or MR. As is often the case here in Idaho, I had the whole stream to myself. Not another fisherman or camper for miles. I feel sorry for those fisherman back east in Wyoming who stand shoulder to shoulder hoping to catch a little brookie.

My brother in law, who guides on the South Fork of the Snake up near Idaho Falls was down camping last weekend and we had a swell time. In exchange for free beer and a fantastic roast beef dinner prepared by his lovely wife, my sister, I took him fishing and passed on some of my extensive fly fishing knowledge. Now this is a fellow who prides himself on drift boating rich Easterners down big rivers and guaranteeing results. By the end of the day, he was speechless with astonishment after watching my casting technique and trout hunting strategies. He said he had never seen, or even heard, of anything quite like it and suggested I keep it all to myself. I suppose he is right. All the steams in the Northwest would soon be empty if everyone fished the way I do. I suppose it is my gift, similar to those given to chaps like Mozart or Leonardo.

Now the big news is that MR and I are dead set on heading for the Oregon Coast day after tomorrow. We pretty much have to dip our feet in Pacific salt water every year just to know we are alive. There is nothing like a romantic walk with me along the beaches of Manzanita to make MR reminisce about the mistakes she has made in life, particularly her matrimonial decisions. Still, the food is good at the restaurants and I can usually find some sort of dead sea creature on the beach to cheer her up.

Anyway, if you were thinking about dropping by the cottage over the next couple of weeks we will not be here. However, the downstairs fridge is full of beer and you all know where the key is. Help yourself. Remember to feed the cat.

Over and out.