Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 35


Field Notes - Dispatch 35 – Rose Cottage– American Falls, Idaho, USA

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Greetings, Fellow Adventurers!

A person might think that after decades of changing car oil, I would have developed a knack for it. Unfortunately, the person would be wrong.

I was under the “Faithful Subaru Adventure Wagon” the other day, wrench in hand, thinking about how few of my pals change their own oil anymore. It used to be everyone did. Now it is just me. As I was thinking these moribund thoughts the dang wrench slipped on the drain plug and I barked my knuckles on the cross member of the car’s frame. Will I ever learn to use a socket for this job? No, of course not. Why take the time to look for the proper tool when the 12 inch crescent is handy. After all, I’ve got things to do. No time to waste.

With bleeding knuckles I continue. I start spinning out the oil pan drain plug. Of course, my fingers slip on my own blood and the dang plug falls out and rockets to who knows where. Instantly the hot, molten, motor oil comes cascading out, runs into my hand, down my arm and pools like burning lava in my armpit. I yelp in pain, snap my head up and plant my forehead on the same steel cross beam that almost took my fingers off a few minutes earlier. At this point, I begin to once again question my commitment to self reliance and “can do” attitude.

All of this pain and I have not even started thinking about removing the oil filter which is placed in a location only a highly trained expert could find, let alone access.

Anyway, as I lay under the car bleeding and blistering I was thinking about how few fellows work on their own cars and trucks anymore. This makes me sad and somewhat envious. They never get the opportunity to mix their blood with used motor oil or have old mud fall from the car's frame into their eyes. They don’t get to swear a blue streak or enjoy the satisfaction of watching the new oil flow into the motor in a golden arc of sunlit wonderment.

How can we expect our young people to defend democracy and the American way when they cannot even change the oil? It’s downright worrisome.

Of course, MR is always telling me I should have the car taken care of by mechanics who know what they are doing. I tell her that any city slicker can lay down a bank card, but to pick a wrench and go to work is what made this country great! She retorts that those chaps, cloaked in history, knew what they were doing and that I don’t. “Humph,” I reply eloquently as I head for the garage.
Well, eventually I get the task completed. I may look like a sea otter after an oil tanker spill, but I get to enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done. Of course, it took me thirty minutes to find that drain plug and about the same amount of time to clean up the tools and the mess but so what? This is one American who is ready to defend democracy one quart at a time!

Over and out.

PS. MR got Brownie and snapped a photo of me working.