Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 37


Field Notes - Dispatch 37 – Palm Desert– California, USA
Sunday, February 18, 2018

Greetings Fellow Adventurers!

My harsh life in the desert continues. I just stumbled in from outside and feel very discombobulated. While enjoying my Sunday cup of coffee out in the front yard sitting in the warm sun reading the newspaper, I fell asleep. I kind of tipped over and ended up looking like a snoring garden gnome for all the world to enjoy as they strolled by on their morning walks. Also, the sun baked the left side of my face so now I look like a croûton and I don’t feel very well. This is the sort of risk that lurks at every turn for Old Trout.

In addition to the physical peril, I am experiencing a crisis of faith. Scout took me to a lecture (free cookies!) at the university last week entitled, “Are We Alone in the Universe?" After teaching in the public school system for years and looking at numerous freshmen I had become certain there were aliens among us--maybe even in my second-hour class. Anyway, the guest speaker, an eminent scientist, explained that, statistically speaking, there is almost certainly life on other planets but that it may only be at the microbial level. After Scout explained to me what microbial meant, I experienced an existential earthquake. My whole reality had been based on the assumption that aliens would be big enough, and smart enough, to have excellent and numerous bakeries, that they would conquer humans, not with laser weapons, but with superior baking technology, thereby save humankind from itself by pelting us with excellent bread and cakes. When I heard that we only had tiny bugs to look forward to, I felt the earth crumble from beneath my feet like a peanut butter cookie, metaphorically speaking. I have been in a state of angst ever since.

So now I find myself sunburned, without faith, and the laughing stock of the neighborhood-- a fried gnome without a spiritual home. That's me.

I hope this Sunday is finding you in a more placid state of mind and that your face has not suffered from the skin peeling rays of solar radiation.