Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 31


Field Notes - Dispatch 31 – Rose Cottage, American Falls, Idaho, USA, Northern Hemisphere

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Greetings, Fellow Adventurers!

The astonishing thing was that it happened so fast. First, there was no wolf in the backyard and then “poof” there it was, standing rock still in the moonlight, fangs glistening. Apparently all of this Idaho snow is driving the wolf critters down out of the timber and into our village. Wolves add a whole new dimension to taking out the garbage after dark. Now that MR has seen the wolf she wants me to take out the garbage every night about 9:00 pm. She has also coated my house slippers with ham fat. She says it is a good waterproofing. I suppose she knows best. Still, it makes a person wonder.

Despite the wolf problem, I am happy to report that I have survived another holiday season of stuffing myself silly and lounging about if front of the fireplace with a cat firmly ensconced on my chest while I read a book about Shackleton’s adventures. I don’t know if the cat saw the wolf, but she has not been in the snowy outdoors for weeks. I say if a cat cannot keep wolves out of the backyard what is the point of owning a pet? She is not much of a mouser either.

Speaking of stuffing, my family and friends have been busy cooking up very tasty vittles the past month and feeding me copious amounts of high fat and sugar delicacies. It has been wonderful. I don’t care what my doctor says; what is Christmas without my aunt’s rum sauce on real English pudding? (MR got the lucky dime once again this year.) I hope all of you have also put on a few Christmas pounds to get you through the dark winter.

Which brings me to the point of this informative dispatch. We have the rustic wagon packed and are setting the compass for 180 degrees south. The next time you hear from this fellow he will be in Palm Desert enjoying the sand dunes and palm trees surrounding the oasis. MR and I will be attired in our khaki desert garb and I will have a Jim Brown cartridge belt around my waist with a .38 Colt revolver holstered on my hip. MR will not give me any cartridges this year because of my unfortunate accident with a camel last season that left us one animal short. I managed to shoot my own faithful camel while dismounting. I still miss Sindbad. Unfortunately, these accidents happen to me with alarming frequency. Remind me to tell you some time about the night I inadvertently burned down the tent of the Bedouin tribal chief. Gosh, what a ruckus.

As is our habit, we will be gone for three months of field archeology and exploring. I hope to find an ancient temple in the wind blown, remote dunes. MR hopes to find a bigger Pottery Barn. To each his own, I suppose.

Once again, I find myself looking forward to studying the habits and customs of the indigenous people of the sun-baked Palm Desert. My they are an interesting group. In my ethnological studies I have discovered they have almost nothing in common with the people of Idaho. They labor under the misapprehension that this is a good thing and are almost proud of it. Poor, ignorant, desert savages. They lack all knowledge of making elk jerky, or moonshine, and must import most of their spirits from France and Italy. Imagine!

Well, for now I must bid you adieu. I will send you a telegraph message from the oasis if the lines have not been cut by Bedouin tribal warriors whose chief apparently does not forgive or forget.