Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 32


Field Notes - Dispatch 32 – Rose Cottage, American Falls, Idaho, USA, Northern Hemisphere

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Greetings, Fellow Adventurers!

Who doesn't like a wedding? What is not to like? Happiness abounds, there is lots of laughter and free food. Just the the ticket as far as I am concerned. This week I attended a wonderful spring wedding of a niece who lives over near Boise. It was held outdoors in a beautiful tree lined venue with a professionally barbecued hog (an Idaho specialty) and free beer (two of my favorite words in the English language.) So why was it such a difficult trip?

You must remember that Boise is on the the other side of our great state from American Falls, my village. Now that is about 3.5 hours of travel one way as fast the Pony Express can go. My math skills are not everything they might be but I reckon that comes close to eight hours travel for a round trip. Most of you don't know my sisters (all four) but they are not like me. They like to talk, and talk they do. If they had a gold medal in the Olympics for talking they would be as famous as Mark
Spitz is for swimming. Anyway, I was tossed into a car (seemed like a phone booth size), two of my talkative sisters were added and so was MR. My sisters locked MR into “chat fest loud mode” and we set off on the adventure. Also, please know that we were being bounced up and down like bronc riders in a four wheel drive SUV because the stage coach road to Boise is very primitive to say the least. Many hours of this bouncing and “conversation” and I was certainly ready for some free beer.

We did arrive, and like I said, I do enjoy a wedding. MR always cries at weddings and people always come up, put their arms around her, give her a hug, and ask what the problem is. Invariably, she looks my way and begins sobbing even harder. Then everyone starts looking my way and when they realize I am her hubby they start weeping for her and continue to pat her on the back. Sometimes they shake their fists at me. Well, this always makes me feel like a real fish but what can I do? By this point I am usually on my fourth mug of beer and dancing like a Comanche with a couple of the bridesmaids. This all happens well before the wedding ceremony even starts. I am not much of a looker but I know how to have a good time.

The bride and groom were everything a fairy tale requires and the guests were congenial. After the nuptials I met most of the groom's extensive family and they were astonished at meeting me. Well, you know how charming I can be and I like to think I was at my best. I pledged loudly, and often, to all present that I was their best pal and would fight to the death any snake who said different. It was about at this time I was locked in the car.
I really don't remember much of the ride home except that the chatting never stopped and I was the object of much of it. As I recall the general theme was, “What is to be done about Old Trout?” Fortunaetly, I missed most of the chatter as I spent the majority of ride in the back seat sing Roy Rogers songs to myself and dozing on and off.
That was my adventure for this week. I hope I get invited to another wedding soon but MR says the probability is remote at best. There is a better chance of me being hit by a meteorite. So, optimistic me, I keep looking up!