Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 7


Field Notes - Dispatch 7 – Palm Desert

Hello Fellow Adventurers!

I thought I had better scribble a dispatch to let you know that we continue to be alive and well here under the old desert sun. I just realized I almost spelled that dessert which has, besides napping, become a dominant theme in my life.

One of the best things about retirement is the amount of time you can use to focus on desserts and snacks. I myself have sniffed out most of the coffee and pastry shops within a five mile radius and this includes the neighbors. Whenever I meet someone new here in the country club I ask their name and when they usually have dinner. I often forget their names but never when dessert might be served. I like to be neighborly and drop in about that time.

Our Minnesota friends next door have invited us over for dinner and parties several times and have sent over lots treats. I am working on a clothesline rope tow from their house to ours so that Carole, an excellent cook, can simply attach the snack bag to to a clothes pin and shoot it over to our house where it will hit a bell on arrival and alert me to the delivery. Either that or I am going to buy her a military drone that she can control with her iPad, but I am afraid her husband might use the drone to launch a hell fire missile rather than a donut in my direction.

MR tells me I may be overdoing it in the treat department but I tell her I have to keep my blood sugar up or I will faint. She says the only time I run the risk of fainting is when I find out we have run out of cookies. I tried to explain to her that pastries are a hobby of mine and that she is not being a very supportive wife. She says that if I continue eating the way I have been, nothing will be able to support me. I have come to the realization that it was a mistake marrying someone smarter than me because our conversations always end badly. When I pointed this conclusion out to MR she said that the pool of women with lower IQs than mine would be very small indeed but that she would be delighted to start looking for a candidate.

Well, as you can see, my life continues to be a bowl full of cherries and I hope you are all feeling sorry for me. Please send something good to eat down here to cheer me up.