Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 3


Field Notes - Dispatch 3 – Palm Desert

Hello Fellow Adventurers!

Life continues on at a leisurely pace here at the country club. However, I did make a small faux pas at one of the hot tubs last night. When I arrived no one was about and I settled in to soak and watch the sunset. Nice hot water right up to my neck, not a sound but the birds singing in the trees. A while later three chaps well into their golden years came by and joined me. When one of them got out I did not think anything of it and just continued visiting with other other two.

About thirty seconds later I felt the force of something large enter my trunks and, of course, instantly screamed, “Snake!” I pretty much levitated straight up and landed beside the pool in my best Ninja fighting stance, dripping, but ready for defensive action! It was only then that that I realized I must have been sitting directly on a high presser nozzle in the pool and the guy who had got out had turned the jets on full blast.

Because of the alignment of the nozzle I found myself somewhat pressurized by fizzy, chlorinated, water and my eyes felt like they were bulging out. This was in fact fortuitous because the pressure must have flattened the lenses in my eyes and for a few moments I could see with absolute clarity that there was no snake. Whoops!

Realizing my mistake I hollered, “False alarm, boys! No snake!” By this time, only seconds, from my initial alarm, I saw the old timers just topping the pool's eight foot security fence and dropping into the rose bushes on the other side. Gosh, their maneuver was completed as handily as a team of young gymnasts! I was very impressed and of course walked over to explain my small mistake and congratulate them on their dexterity.

Strangely, they were not amused and did not appreciate my earlier warning one bit. They used some language that one does not often hear in polite society as they pulled rose thorns from one another, and I had to wonder if these three really were the type I wanted in my hot tub.