Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 5


Field Notes - Dispatch 5 – Palm Desert

Hello Fellow Adventurers!

Having been raised in the safe bosom of Idaho it is easy to forget just how dangerous the rest of the world can be. You hear stories of how wicked California is and yesterday proved the legitimacy of that accusation. I was at the wrong place at the wrong time, joined a yoga class and was almost murdered.

Being adventurous, I thought I would try this new experience and was issued a rubber pad and was told to spread it out on the grass under a big old tree. I laid down on the mat and thought that with the addition of a pillow and light blanket the perfect sport could be invented, competitive napping. Only later did I discover that the rubber mat was to collect falling body parts and for the convenient pooling of my blood. If you think about it, a rubber mat is just an incomplete body bag.

The yoga instructor, who was easily sixty, had the body of a sixteen year old girl, also had the temperament of a hardened Nazis SS commander. Before I knew what was happening,. I was in more knots than a cheap garden hose on hot summer day. My spine was crackling like a string of firecrackers on the 4th of July and for some reason, probably my moaning, she kept focusing in on me for “special” treatment. She kept asking me how I was doing but as a true American retiree, I would only give her my rank and social security number. Not cooperating only prolonged the torture and in the end if I had had any secrets I would have spilled the beans for a single moment's relief.

Today I can hardly move but thought I would do a bit a research. Turns out that yoga is an ancient Sanskrit word meaning “heartless terrorism,” and is the philosophical doctrine upon which Al-Qaeda is based. Statistically speaking, in Idaho you could live your entire life without meeting a yoga terrorist but down here there seems to be one under every bush, usually curled up next to, and intimidating, a rattle snake.

My advice to you is stay at home and take your chances with the slick roads and timber wolves.