Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 15


Field Notes - Dispatch 15 – Moab, Utah – slick-rock bike area – Sand Creek
Monday, October 6, 2014
Hello Fellow Adventurers!
Old Trout is certainly out of his element at the moment. My well-developed sense for trout water is telling me I am out of luck. Unfortunately, the steel coiled muscles in my casting arm are atrophying and “Fish Slayer”, my faithful fly rod, remains asleep in its case.
Nevertheless, there are compensations for this dearth of tail water. I find myself surrounded by the most interesting topography in America. These sandstone arches, bridges, windows and cliffs leave a person lost for words and, in my case, simply lost. The search and rescue crew has been called out twice on my account and both times I was just attempting to make a trip to the outhouse and back. MR is now keeping me on one of those spring leashes for little kids. Thank heavens the harness is too small for my manly girth. MR says I am just to fat.
We are having perfect weather with no wind, temps in the mid 70's and lots of sunshine. We have been hiking in to some remote canyons to seek out little-known arches and Indian rock art. The best part of this effort is that I usually get snacks and iced drinks on the trail. Although, one must never forget, that it can be dangerous given the ledges and boulders we have have to navigate. Fortunately, I am quite safe with my spring tether attached. I occasionally jump off a rock just to spring right back up like a superhero! MR keeps suggesting I try a big cliff and always keeps her pocket knife handy in case I try it. Not sure why; maybe she is worried about a coyote attack.
Speaking of animals, yesterday we had a three foot long snake slither around our campsite for about thirty minutes. I must say that nothing focuses ones attention quite like a large snake under your picnic table. The long narrow fellow was in camp for so long we named him Felix and I invited the kids from a nearby camp to come over and see him. He was a slow mover and seemed friendly. We all thought he was a good chap and laughed when he made those SSSSS noises with his tail. Camp life is so interesting.
Well, today we have had our breakfast and we are watching the light change over the slick rock country. The La Sal mountains, a short distance away, have new snow on them and all is peacefully quiet now that the damn backhoe has left. It was working on the road down below us and I thought I was going to have to bean the operator with a rock to get him to go away. MR went down a had a word with that guy and he finished right up and took off. That will teach him. I certainly know how he feels.
Well, enough of this wordsmithing. I need to get the topo maps out and plan today's excursion into the back country. I will leave a copy of our itinerary with the Park Service and Search and Rescue. It saves them a lot of time and they seem to enjoy the challenge.
Over and out for now.
PS. I will telegraph this message from the Moab library later today. I hope you are all having wonderful adventures and that this dispatch finds you well.