Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 13



Field Notes - Dispatch 13 – Trout Camp, Bolder Mountains, Idaho

Hello Fellow Adventurers!

I found the stub of a pencil I use for writing and thought that I would compose a short note updating you on our current mountain safari adventure. We are ensconced in the mountain chalet which is situated next to a trout steam under the protective cover of a conifer forest. Our camp looks out over a verdant meadow fed by several springs so it is always cool and green here. Lots of birds to watch, but none worth putting in the cookpot. MR put up a hummingbird feeder so now I have to deal with those non-game birds as well.

Each morning before I can have breakfast or go fly fishing MR makes us do our Mt. Bike ride (code for inhuman torture) up the North Fork Canyon on a forest service road. Bikes and the Bo​u​lder mountains are just a perfect combination to give a person cardiac arrest. Just writing about it makes me start to sweat. She says the mountains are beautiful in the morning air and we get to see interesting wildlife. All I see is my heart rate monitor redlining as very sharp rocks flash by my bike tires. I am usually only one mistake away from riding off a mountain cliff! I really think she is trying to kill me; and all of this before my first cup of breakfast coffee.

The good news is that all my fishing guide buddies at Silver Creek Outfitters and aware I am back hunting trout in the Sun Valley. I stopped in to say hello and give them my fishing report as well as some much needed tips. As soon as I stepped through the door I could just sense the atmosphere of the shop change and several guides darted for the back door. I guess it was lunchtime or something. Anyway, one guide, Mike “Parachute” Adams, had a cast on his left leg so I spent about an hour updating him on my insights regarding western dry fly fishing and how it should be done. He sure seemed astonished by my comments and suggested​ I go down the street ​to​ his competitors and spread my knowledge around so all the local guides could benefit from my experience and wisdom. I thought that was very generous of him considering how most guides are quite secretive about such valuable inside information. I reckon that's why so many of my best fish pals work at Silver Creek.

I am going to have to end this report early so I can have a nap. MR is taking me into town for some kind of highbrow shindig tonight and I think we are meeting some chums for, what I hope, will be a visit to a pastry shop and restaurant. Old Trout does not live on fish alone,​ you know!

​Hope you are having exciting adventures of your own.