Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 30




Field Notes - Dispatch 30 – Old Rose Cottage, Idaho
Thursday, September 9, 2016

Greetings, Fellow Adventurers!

Looks like it is go. I just called the local aerodrome and talked to the mechanic. He reports that the Douglas DC-3’s port engine will be repaired in time to fly us to Canada this coming Saturday. Now, if only the pilot would sober up, I would have more confidence about our upcoming Canadian Safari. Apparently, both the pilot (Capt. Bud) and the aeroplane run on alcohol distilled from local potatoes. Talk about flying the friendly skies.

Yes, once again we are going to embark on a Viking River Cruise and sail the way real adventurers do: in a long wooden dragon boat with ores pulled by invaders focused on plunder. I can hardly wait to see our cabin
.
We will be gone for about three weeks and end up visiting friends in New York state for a while. I enjoy going back East because it gives me an opportunity to spread the word about the great state of Idaho. I like to regale the local sophisticates with tales of the Wild West while I do rope tricks and show them pictures of my faithful horse, Paint. They always seem impressed with my cowboy boots and, upon occasion, with my trick shooting. I enjoy tossing their Starbucks Cards in the air and shooting .44 caliber holes through them.

If you would like to see a map of our trail route just click on the following cyber thing and take a look.

There is a picture at the bottom of the first page showing the map and a Canadian Mountie who I am sure to meet. Seems like I aways end up on a first name basis with local law enforcement no matter where I travel. I have met some of the nicest folks during these local customs misunderstandings.
Well, I hope your are enjoying your own fall colors and having some spiked cider while rolling around in the leaves. Keep looking up. My plane will be the one with the sputtering port engine.