Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 29




Field Notes - Dispatch 29 – Desert Outpost, Palm Desert, California

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Greetings Fellow Adventurers!

Okay, I am not going to beat around the bush about this. I just found out yesterday that this valley in which I am doing important culinary ethnological field work is going to get smacked with an earthquake that will make falling off my bike, an unfortunately frequent occurrence, seem like child’s play. It is time to pack the saddlebags and gallop back to Idaho where we only have to worry about timber wolves and Republican extremists.

This is what happened. Mary and I went to a science lecture yesterday at the local National Monument hot-spot where we often go birding and scouting for interesting wildflowers. The speaker was excellent, if one is willing to discount the fact that the content of his talk scared the socks off me and that there were no refreshments. Apparently, according to the knowledgeable professor, the Coachella Valley here in sunny California sits dead center on the focal point of most geological faults that fracture this part of the world. It does not matter from where the quake originates, North or South, this valley’s goose is cooked. The video computer simulations of what is going to happen here made me sea sick. I find myself in the uncomfortable position of sitting on a plate tectonic time bomb the fuse of which was lit hundreds of years ago and is expected to go off at any moment. ANY MOMENT!

Understandably, I rushed home from the lecture and instantly began stuffing equipment into my old sea chest in preparation for an immediate departure North. Cooler heads prevailed (MR’s to be exact) and she pointed out to me that if I left in my usual state of panic, the Easter Bunny would not be able to find me and I would not get a basket this year. Obviously, that stopped me in my tracks. The Easter Bunny is a pretty big deal in my world and I took a moment to reconsider on my tenuous position and options.

Upon reflection, I have decided to stay until Friday morning so I will not miss the Easter celebration or the two supper parties we are invited to in the coming days. I am once again going to be courageous, while being surrounded by danger, in order to achieve the objectives of my mission. Those objectives being good things to eat prepared by excellent cooks. I suppose you could say it is the way of the True Adventurer. Mary says it is the way of the True Mooch. But don’t listen to her!

As things stand now the pack train will head back to Idaho, and it’s stable geology, about sunup on April 1st. I just hope this valley will hold together until then. We will do some exploring and prospecting along the trail and should reach the homestead on the afternoon of the 3rd. That is assuming there are no earthquakes or Indian attacks along the way. I sure have a hankering to see our old cabin and my buckaroo pals.

Over and out for now. If you need to, you can reach me via the wireless device in our cook tent.