Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 10


Field Notes - Dispatch 10 – Palm Desert

Hello Fellow Adventurers!

Well, as MR said on the eve of our wedding, “Friends, all good things must come to an end.” I never understood quite what she meant by that . I do remember all of her pals turning to look at me and shaking their heads with what I took to be astonishment, and maybe it was. Besides myself, the only people truly happy at that party where my parents who kept hugging MR, telling her things would be all right, and thanking her. I never did find out what they were thanking her for, I was pretty busy at the buffet table.

Yes, fellow adventures, the SoCal Snowbird Season has reached an end. We are packing up the faithful Subaru and pointing it North. We shall be home by mid week and hope to find the cottage still standing and all of our friends happy and healthy.

We have had lots of wonderful experiences the past three months including our first sand storm and a couple of nights ago an earth quake. I felt “the earth move under my feet,” as they say, and figured it was just the smooch MR had given me. Then I remembered that no smooching has occurred for quite some time and I must be in the middle of a geologic emergency. Thinking of all the elderly in the neighborhood and how they might be hurt, my training skills kicked in. I screamed with fear and dived under the dinning room table. After fifteen terrifying seconds it was all over and found I had once again cheated death. I immediately medicated myself with a Snickers bar to calm my nerves. Oddly enough MR, who was lounging on the sofa, had continued reading throughout the entire horrific event. Nerves of steel, that girl!

I want to say thank you to all of our wonderful Minnesota friends and our fellow Snow Birders from good old AF. It has been great sharing our winter with you all. MR and I are grateful for your friendship. I am not sure how much MR is paying you to put up with me but I am sure it is not enough. We will miss you and are already looking forward to next season.

Now, home for spring skiing and summer fly fishing!

Over and out for now.