Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 20


Field Notes - Dispatch 20 – The Cottage, Idaho
Wednesday, May 20, 2015


Greetings Fellow Adventurers!


Here at the cottage, life continues at a leisurely pace. We are in our third day of rain, which is unheard of for these parts and I am thinking of building a raft just in case. The homestead looks very green and some of our seeds are sprouting in the new raised garden beds. Following more work than I care to remember, we now have nine raised beds, and we only spent about ten times our annual food budget to build them. No one ever said gardeners are rational. I made two of the beds eight feet long and two feet wide so that if we lay on our sides our funeral expenses can be greatly reduced. We will just be composted! MR says she is sure I will come back as rhubarb.



The other day I once again demonstrated that I should not be allowed out of the house without a leash. I always buy shampoo by the gallon and then I don’t have to think about it for years. Mary buys expensive stuff in tiny bottles, but I don’t. That probably explains why my hair looks the way it does. Anyway, I ordered a gallon from Amazon with my selection being based on the four star rating the product received. It arrived and after using it for a few days I read the label and discovered it is designed for dogs! I ordered dog shampoo! That might explain the low price.



Well, I am too cheap to toss it out so I have continued to use it. I reasoned that most of these fancy dogs are more valuable than I am so what the heck. I have been very pleased with the results. That flea problem I picked up in Palm Desert has gone away and my pelt has a very nice sheen. The only unfortunate outcome has been that when the door bell rings I bark uncontrollably and run in circles. I have also developed a deep suspicion of all cats. I suppose I will get used to the side effects; after all, I have two year supply to use up.



We are in the planning stages for several summer adventures that will involve kayaks, rucksacks, boots, and trail snacks. The mountains are calling and I am ready to hear my yodel echoing down those canyon walls. My yodeling is a point of contention with MR that is best left unexplored. I hope you are all getting ready for some spring flings and that this dispatch finds you healthy, happy, and enjoying the sunshine.