Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 33


Field Notes - Dispatch 33 – Rose Cottage, American Falls, Idaho, USA, Northern Hemisphere

Thursday, May 29, 2017

Greetings, Fellow Adventurers!

You may have seen the report about me on the local news, but for those who did not, I may as well confess that on a recent camping trip I managed to ignite a fire in my pants.

MR and I safaried down to the Wasatch Mountains of Utah and, generally speaking, had a great time. For years I mispronounced the name of these mountains. I called them the Sasquatch Mountains and no one ever corrected me because, as usual, people are not very nice to me.

Anyway, before we left I asked MR if she thought it would be a good idea to purchase an off brand, imported, electric power inverter for the camper hut. That way we could, in theory, charge up the ham radio right there in camp from the four old car batteries I have duct taped to the back bumper. She said that any technology that might put a spark back into our relationship would be a good investment and slid the $12.00 over to me.

A day or so later, off we drove and safely arrived in camp. It was a wonderful spot near a small meadow complete with butterflies, lots of oak trees for shade and even an icy mountain stream running right by our camp. Perfect. All was well until the second day when I decided to try out Mr. Sung’s “Most Easy to Use” power inverter. I would attempt charging the cell phone as a test case.
I carefully read the instructions about three times. The document, written mostly in North Korean, inspired more questions than it answered but eventually I was pretty sure I understood the general protocol for the successful operation of the device. Now, I said to myself, time for the practical application component of the lesson, the stuff fellows like me excel at!

First off I attached the red alligator clip (alligator?) to the positive terminal of the DC (Demonic Current) battery array and clipped the black alligator (alligator?) clip to the little finger of my left hand, just like Mr. Sung’s instruction manual suggested. This apparently inverts (flips) the electricity’s spirit personality to AC (Angelic Current). The energy field created in my body then would radiate power into the phone located in my pants front pocket. Mr. Sung was very specific about the phone’s location. Why, I asked myself? Oh well, carry on!

I know this all sounds complicated, but remember I have been to college and am an American male so I inherently know what I am doing. At this point, I was feeling a tingling sensation throughout my body and I could feel the phone heating up so I knew it was charging. Unfortunately, a bit of trouble manifested itself at this point.

This is embarrassing to recount, but it has been reported on the local news so most of you already know what happened. The EMT at the scene reported that apparently, the electromagnetic field emanating throughout my body caused a biological anomaly that resulted in a complete loss of, well, “control.” Instantly the gushing liquid allowed electricity to arc from the my Samsung Galaxy 7 phone’s lithium ion battery to the frame of the camper, completing a circuit that resulted in the phone, as well as my pants, exploding in a brilliant eruption of yellow flame. (Note to self: As a safety precaution do not charge phone in FRONT pocket!)

MR, who was reading under the shade of a nearby tree during these few moments said that as I streaked by her in a beeline for the stream I appeared to resemble a large, howling, 4th of July bottle rocket--yellow flame propelling me at near mach 1 speed, a plume of black, acrid smoke marking my trajectory. I made a landing in the creek like an Apollo space module at splashdown but without the parachute. It was at this point that MR called 911 on the ham radio. This is not an unusual occurrence for the poor kid when camping with me.

Well, several hours later, after the local news film crew and EMTs left our campsite, MR asked me what I had learned from the day’s events. I replied that the next time we went on safari I would leave all electronic devices at home and instead use my time to perfect my s’mores recipe.
Me and a camp fire, what could possibly go wrong?