Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 22


Field Notes - Dispatch 22 – Teton National Park, Wyoming
Friday, July 7, 2015

Greetings Fellow Adventurers!

Not all is a bed of lupine here in the Tetons. Old Trout and Scout have been kayaking here for five days and most of the time we have been dodging rain storms. Fortunately, we are both from pioneer stock and as long as the cocoa holds out, so will we.

Last night we put the kayak in Jackson Lake and as we were getting ready to paddle from shore, a black bear came loping along the beach. My mountain man instincts kicked in immediately and I screamed like a little girl, jumped behind Scout (MR) and realized all I had to defend us was a water bottle which I managed to drop. The bear was gone in an instant and ended up on the hillside above us happily munching chokecherries. Overall, I believe I handled the encounter very well but I still quiver just thinking about it. Must be the leftover adrenaline. Scout sees things a bit differently and wants her own side arm for Christmas. Says she would feel more protected with a Colt .44 at her side than me. Needless to say, I am a bit offended.


As I draft this telegram we are sitting in the Jackson Lake Lodge next to a set of three story picture windows through which should be a stunning view of the Grand Teton Mountains. Today it looks like what one would see if placed inside a three story pingpong ball--a complete white out due to clouds and rain. No matter, I have been regaling the tourists from the East with tales of my various adventures and acts of daring. The tourists seem to appreciate my efforts and often use me as an example to their children. “Boys and girls”, they say, “stay in school and off drugs, or you may end up like this smelly old trout.” It is good to know I am helping the youngsters of America, if only as a caution.

Of course, what I am really thinking about is lunch and what I will order. They specialize in stuffed baked trout here but I catch so many big rainbow myself that such a dish holds little interest for me. I think I will just have a simple salad with a milk shake followed by blueberry pie alamode. I find salad allows me to keep my slim figure with little physical exertion. One’s physical appearance is so important nowadays, don’t you think?

Well, that is all for now. Time to see if Scout is ready to put on the feed bag. This is an expression that she finds particularly abhorrent and one which I often use. In closing, let me say that I hope all of you are dry and having some summer adventures of your own.

Over and out.