Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 12


I apologize for the tardiness of this dispatch. I thought it had been send by the last Pony Express Rider in Wyoming but turn out some camp cook wrapped a greasy fry pan with it and put it in the bottom of one of the pack saddles. I only found it because I was poking around for a spare box of Winchester ammunition. Well, I reckon it is better late than never.

Field Notes - Dispatch 12 – Colter Bay, Teton Nation Park
Hello Fellow Adventurers!
I write this to you as rain patters on the roof of our mountain chalet that sits next to a lake nestled under the mighty Teton mountain range. This storm front moved in this afternoon and put a stop to all of our kayaking plans for the evening and possibly tomorrow. Well, that is the way of the wild. Mountain adventurers such as myself learn early on to weather the harsh storms by staying inside and eating cheese cake. Many early settlers perished because they did not know this important survival strategy.
We have been paddling the lakes and scouting for game. So far we have seen antelope, bear, elk, moose, deer, squirrels and rich Asians. After kayaking night before last we went to a favorite picnicking site beneath the Grand Teton to cook up a pot of grub and when I got out of the car a bear came out from behind a bush next the the table I would have been standing at thirty seconds later. Like a flash I let out a scream, jumped behind MR and then jumped into the car. My second jump was made after quickly concluding MR would not be much protection when matched against a large bear with paws full of three inch claws. Mary hoped in the car a couple minutes later after I came out from under the seat unlocked the car doors. She seemed a little peeved, can't think why.


The next day when I reported the to the park rangers how I had saved several quivering campers from the biggest bear ever seen in the Park they asked me if it was a black bear. I asked them how, exactly, I was supposed to ascertain the bruins race when it was completely covered in hair? And what do they care anyway, are the government boys now profiling bears? I said, “Bears, are bears, they are all trouble, leave race out of it!” Some of these rangers are idiots. It makes you wonder how they got their jobs.


I have Asians on the mind because of bus load of them tuned over just north of our camp yesterday. Twenty six passengers and the driver flipped over and skidded down the highway. Closed the highway for hours. Can you imagine! Those poor people save up their money, come all the way over here and then some Wyoming rodeo cowboy driver tips over the bus. I wonder how many of the EMTs here know Asian languages? I bet not many. A lot of the locals barely know English. I bet those Asian folks were sacred to death. Fortunately there were no fatalities but several of them ended up in the hospital. Imagine how scary that must be for them. Most docs here in Wyoming are not all that proficient. They think that biting on a bullet and a shot of rot gut whiskey will cure whatever ills you might have. Oh well, I hope they get home.
Well that is all the news for now. When we get home I will upload the bear photos. Over and out for now.
PS. If you would like to look at the bear photos wander on over to www.twinters.com and click on the photo link. Hope you are well and blazing new paths.