Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 26




Field Notes - Dispatch 26 – Rose Cottage, Idaho

Friday October 27, 2015

Greetings Fellow Adventurers!

I am sure that you have been following the pool hall rumors about the possibility of an award coming my way. Well, it is time to remove the cat from the bag and officially announce that it is true. I have been awarded the 2015 Nobel Prize for Trout Fishing!

Of course I was informed of the decision several weeks ago but was asked to keep it under my lucky fishing hat until the political dust that always accompanies this sort of thing had settled. It is a great honor and I am grateful to my family, fellow fishing guides, and Trout Camp students for their support over these long, and I must say, challenging decades.  

The award was bestowed upon me for my ground-breaking work in grafting multiple reels to a single fly rod. Although the math and theory of the work remains beyond the comprehension of most laymen, such as yourself, the gist of the matter is that now several times as many trout can be landed using multiple fly lines and trout flies on a single rod. Obviously, this will have significant repercussions in third world countries like Montana where people are desperate for additional protein in their beer-based diets.

On the second of November, MR and I will fly from Salt Lake City to a place called Prague which, as I understand it, is somewhere east of Denver. We will also be doing a float trip on the Danube River which is rumored to contain excellent tail waters occupied by some very nice European trout. I will be taking my favorite, and only, fly rod, “Old Trout Slayer,” and I hope to have an enjoyable and rewarding trip. My only concern is that we will be traveling on a Viking river boat rather than a ClakaCraft drift boat and I understand the local guides are, unfortunately, bait fishermen. Nevertheless, I will do my best to uphold the reputation of the classic American Western dry fly fisherman.

We will be gone a couple of weeks and I hope to be in telegraphic communication with you all from those rustic, castle encrusted, lands. One of the highlights of the trip that I am particularly looking forward to will be a stop in Vienna where I believe the little sausages, a mainstay of all fisherman, are made. I will try to get a snapshot of the factory.

MR, of course, is breathless with excitement over the impending journey. She is all in a flutter over what to wear. I told her that I have found that a nice fly vest and some new waders are appropriate in most social situations and have served me well over the years, including at our wedding. Certainly the Europeans could not expect more.

Apparently, I am expected to make an acceptance speech at the awards ceremony. As you know, I am somewhat reticent about putting myself forward and it is only under duress that I have accepted this task. I prefer to let my casting speak for me in most instances. Nevertheless, I have made a few notes that should allow me to speak for about two hours. I will begin with my formative years as a young fishing prodigy when I invented the wicker fishing creel and move forward from that point. It should be quite a scintillating speech and I anticipate great applause. I am thinking that these lecture notes may form the basis of my upcoming autobiography, Small Streams, Big Dreams: A Life of Adventure. Penguin is already sniffing around for publishing rights.

Well friends, that is my happy announcement and travel plans. I look forward to my return when I hope to regale you will many exciting tales from the old country.

Over and out. I hope you are all adventuring.