Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 19



Field Notes - Dispatch 19 – The Desert Oasis, California
Thursday, February 26, 2015
Greetings Fellow Adventurers!

Just an update to let you know we are surviving the harsh conditions of the California desert as best we can. The sand, sun, heat, and snakes require that we each carry three canteens and our trusty pistols at all times. I carry iced G&T in my canteens and share with the snakes. How I do miss the crisp air of the Idaho ski runs and rooster tails of snow behind my skis as I shoosh down the slopes. You are so lucky not to be down here under this sky of perpetual sun.

My life as a pickle ball athlete continues. Last week I fell, sprained my ankle, and four 80+ players had to pick me up and carry me to the bench. I was in such pain I thought a medevac chopper would be in order, but instead I just rested a few minutes and biked home on my sports injury. MR was less than sympathetic, as usual, and I spent a couple of days hobbling around whimpering like a puppy. MR told me to buck up and so did the neighbors who I thought might give me cookies to get me through that tough time, but for some reason they chose not to.

Today I went and played again, because I’m no quitter, and I met some more wonderful people. I was playing singles against a very tiny oriental lady named Ampie. I found her name was very appropriate because she was amped up, moved as fast as an electron through copper, and almost did me in with her high speed forehand. Of course, I was exhausted and felt like a wet towel by the time I had lost the game. As I stood at the net panting like a dog she causally stated, while doing push ups, that she just plays P-Ball for exercise on the days she is not playing tennis! I told her that I just play for revenge and she had better watch out! Strangely, she did not seem very frightened and just chuckled while shaking her head with what looked like pity in her eyes. Did I mention that she must be at least 85?

Many of these players will not see see their 88th birthday again yet move with the speed of cats and are as wily as coyotes. Their favorite shot is a forehand that launches the hard plastic ball at my nose with the same velocity as the comet that hit the earth and wiped out the dinosaurs. The ball impacting my snout has about the same effect as that comet and several times I have felt myself to be on the cusp of extinction. When hit I aways scream like I have been shot and hop around on one foot or the other for about five minutes with my hands covering my face. My court mates seem to find this very amusing and often congratulate me on my balance and the breadth of my cowboy vocabulary. I am developing a reputation at the courts of being a poor player, a poor sportsman, and very clumsy. But I have not given up!

The worst blow came the other morning I was enjoying my breakfast of coffee and assorted pastries on the patio with MR when I mentioned that I might like to go watch the polo on Sunday. I told her that I thought I could be a pretty good polo player if I lost a few pounds. She quickly replied that if I lost a few pounds I could be the horse. Now I don’t want to go to see the polo anymore.
I hope you are all doing well, or at least better than I am. I am sure yo
u are beginning to sense spring on the horizon and that gives us all something to look forward to. Be sure to drop us a line, if you have time, and let us know what adventures you are having.
Over and out for now.