Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dispatch 14


Field Notes - Dispatch 14 – Trout Camp, Bolder Mountains, Idaho

Hello Fellow Adventurers!

The idyllic days spent here in the Idaho Trout Camp (ITC) are quickly diminishing in number. I thought I had better send out a dispatch before we pull up stakes and return to our garden cottage in American Falls and the arduous responsibilities of retirement.

Many of you have requested an update on this year's annual OLD TROUT'S FLYFISHING CLINIC that I hosted, once again, here on the North Fork of the Wood River last week. I must say it came off as a resounding success. All the participants were astonished at what I had to teach them and many simply could not believe the insights that this native son of the West conveyed to them. Some highlights follow...

Bamboo Fly Rods – I demonstrated how anyone, with a only a Swiss Army knife and a length of bamboo from a gardening supply shop can fashion a beautiful, heirloom quality, fly rod that can catch a variety of fish ranging from mountain brookies to ocean salmon. During my demonstration I also had ample opportunity to show off my excellent first aide skills due to a few mishaps I had with the pocket knife.

The Granny Knot – Using various ropes, shoelaces, and strings I proved that the ubiquitous granny knot is the only knot any fisherman needs to know. It is without doubt one of the most useful skills anyone steeped in the methods of good camp craft possesses. The concluding highlight of this session evolved several participants tying me to a pine tree using only the granny knot and, by golly, I was not able to free myself! Proof positive of my thesis! Unfortunately, the participants were so excited that they ran off and forgot to untie me. Fortunately, I was as able to parlay my Swiss Army knife into a clever rescue from an eight year old who happened to be passing by.

Fly Tying – This was the most technically demanding session of the clinic. Teaching folks to catch and then glue flies to small hooks is frustrating and fraught with difficulties. First, very few of the ladies liked going into the outhouse to catch the flies--no accounting for the gentler sex's sensibilities. Secondly, many of the fellows kept squashing the flies while they attempted to glue the the insect to the hook. This resulted in a lot of profanity and a stinky mess that no trout would be fooled by. Further research in teaching methodology is required.

Well, as you can imagine by the end of the day all the participants were much more knowledgeable about Old Trout, the master of Western dry-fly fishing, and simply could not believe the experiences that they had had during the day. A couple of the comments on the clinic's evaluation cards were very gratifying, others not so much. But that is to be expected in such an an academically rigorous program.

MR and I hope you are all well and exploring your own trails of adventure. I hope to see you soon and regale you with fascinating fishing stories and other tales of the Boulder Mountains.